These days, content is the best way to promote yourself and your business.
If you’re a freelancer looking for new clients, or a business owner trying to get your brand out there, blogging is a big step in that direction. It allows you to reach out to your target audience through useful and interesting content that they love while establishing yourself or your brand as an industry expert.
When done right, your readers will share your content with their friends and family and you’ll have organic growth of high-quality traffic.
But first, you have to create a blog. If you don’t want to invest thousands in designers and developers, consider using a platform like Strikingly, which allows you to create professionally-designed websites without having to deal with complicated technical issues. All you need is a few minutes to create the blog, and then you can start working on the really challenging part – creating the content.
Here’s a simple guide to help you create your Strikingly blog in no time. No experience required.
TRY STRIKINGLY NOW
1. Sign Up and Create Your Website
The first step is to create your account on Strikingly. This is done in less than a minute and doesn’t even require additional verification steps. Simply go to Strikingly.com and fill out the very short form at the top of the homepage.
- Enter your name, email, and password and click the ‘Get Started’ button.
- You now have a free Strikingly account!
2. Choose Your Template
First, you need to choose from the many templates Strikingly has to offer.
- You can filter them by clicking the filters at the top of the page. Take a few minutes to look at each one before making a decision.
- Choose one that is close to you what you want in terms of layout.
- Remember that you can change things like background image and colors, so don’t look too closely at these things.
- When you see a template you love, hover over it and click ‘Start Editing!’
- If you’re not sure, click ‘View Example’ to get a closer look at the design before making up your mind.
3. Edit the Settings
You’ve now created a professionally-designed website. Now all you have to do is start working on the little details to customize it to your brand and add your content.
- Click “Settings” in the left menu to edit your website’s basic information, like title, category, description, keywords, and so on. This is very important to making your website SEO optimized.
- In the Settings menu, you can also add a header and footer, view analytics, and more.
- It is recommended to go over every part of the Settings menu and customize everything to your specific needs to make sure that your website and blog are completely optimized.
4. Add a Domain
Creating a Strikingly account and website is free, but it only includes a generic Strikingly domain. In order to look professional, you should have a unique domain of your own.
To add your domain, visit the Settings menu and click ‘Domains’.
You’ll be able to register a new domain directly from Strikingly, or you can connect a domain you already own from a different registrar.
- In both cases, you’ll have to upgrade your account to Premium, which costs $8-$20 a month, depending on the package you purchase.
- Premium packages also include increase bandwidth, stores, and much more and you can try them out for 14 days if you’re not sure about making that move.
5. Add Your Blog
When you create a Strikingly website, you create a regular website with a page structure.
- In order to have a blog on your site, you need to add it by clicking ‘Add New Section’ in the left menu, and then ‘Simple Blog’.
- This creates a blog where you can start adding and customizing your posts.
- It also separates it from the rest of the website, allowing you to add more interesting features such as a store, services page, etc. that your blog will help you promote.
6. Set Up Your Blog
- Click the “Manage Posts” button to open a window that allows you to control every aspect of your blog. You can add new posts, edit them, and customize your blog settings.
- The blog settings menu allows you to control how many posts you can show per page, the post layout, comments, and even add a MailChimp embed code to increase your subscribers list.
- One of the more important aspects of blogging is collecting subscribers to make sure your readers keep coming back, and to interest them in other products or services that you provide.
7. Start Blogging!
- To add a new post, click ‘Write New Post’. You’ll be able to add texts and move items around on the website design so that you can see exactly how everything will look as you work.
- Each post automatically has a share section with Facebook, Twitter, and other sharing and like buttons. You can also edit that to customize it.
- Remember, social sharing is crucial when it comes to blogging. It’s where your readers will share your content if they love it, and where you’ll be trying to reach out them to get them to visit your blog.
- Take the time to make your blog social-friendly and create your own social profiles so that you can connect them to your blog and use them to create a following and promote your content.
8. Save Often
Throughout the entire process, from the moment you create your Strikingly website, you should save it often. After every change that you make, it is highly recommended to click the big ‘Save’ button at the top left of the screen to avoid any mishaps.
- In the event of a power outage, closing the window by mistake, or just a bug, you could lose all of the changes you made if you don’t save.
- Clicking the “Save” button does not make your changes live, but simply saves them to your Strikingly account.
- To publish all of your changes and make them all visible on your live website, click the ‘Publish’ button at the top left of the screen.
- You don’t have to publish after each change if you’re working on your site – remember to use the ‘Save’ button for that.
That’s all there is to it. Creating the blog is easy and takes only a few minutes. The part that takes much longer involves writing the right content for your site and making sure it gets to the right target audience online.
Take your time to research your audience and competitors to find out what content works and what doesn’t, and remember to develop a marketing strategy that will get your content out there. Your blog may be live and looking great, but you have to tell people about it to get the traffic you need to succeed.
We made Strikingly one of our top picks in our best blog builders rankings. Check out the full list to see our other favorites, and get started on your blog today!
TRY STRIKINGLY NOW